2011 will not bring any significant changes in laptop technology, but the “tradition” will continue, aka laptops and desktops will become more powerful from every point of view: there will be faster processors, stronger video cards and more RAM power. Maybe the RAM won’t exceed the current 6 Gb, but it will certainly be cheaper to buy, which is a win by itself.
My award for the best gaming laptop in 2011 goes to my personal favorite: the next in line in the Alienware M17x series. As we know, there already is the R2 edition, which is the best choice for now, but in 2011 they will be showing off with the R3 (Revision 3) notebook. Since it’s going to be an upgraded version of the R2, and the M17x is considered by many the best gaming laptop in 2010, the logical conclusion is that the Alienware M17x R3 will be the next big hit.
Details on the Alienware M17x R3 Gaming Laptop
The look is new, as the main exterior color is now red, not black. But that doesn’t matter when you play your games, does it? What matters is that the video card will be a Mobility Radeon HD 6000, with two graphic options (either 6870 or 6970). Alternatively, you will be able to choose the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M video card. And I’m sure you’ll love the SideBeam chipset and the 17 inch 3D display screen, along with a 3.2 megapixel webcam. They say it will have a longer battery life, as the laptop will use the new 9 cell battery technology.
Not much more information was leaked from Dell about this laptop, but when the time comes, you’ll be able to read everything you need to know right here. Also, I’ll be giving you the link where you can look at it more closely and buy it.
UPDATE: It’s here! Alienware M17x R3 has been released on January 10 (much earlier than I expected, actually). You will be able to build your own configuration, choosing between some very cool components. Let me summarize for you:
- processors: Intel Core i7: choose between 2820QM ( 2.3 GHz), 2720QM (2.2 GHz) and 2630QM (2 GHz)
- OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Home Premium
- RAM Memory (DDR3): choose between 4,6,8 and 16 GB
- Video Card: as anticipated, you’ll have to choose between NVIDIA GTX460M GeForce and AMD HD6870M Radeon
- even the display resolution is at your choice: what will it be? 1920×1080, or 1600×900?
- audio and speakers: you can get a cheaper 5.1 surround sound system (analog), or a better, but more expensive 7.1 (digital)
- hard drive: 1 Tb or 1.5 Tb
There’s no doubt about it: Alienware M17x R3 is the best gaming laptop in 2011. Happy gaming!